Urgent help needed High nitrates

Reaction score
I'm battling to get NO3 below 20. I'm running GFP, which keeps my PO4 at a stable 0.01-0.03. Could it be that my PO4 has bottomed out nutrients, which has stopped bacteria from bringing down the NO3?

Aquaforest NP Pro and Pro Bio S, as well as chaeto in the sump

Last edited:
I'm battling to get NO3 below 20. I'm running GFP, which keeps my PO4 at a stable 0.01-0.03. Could it be that my PO4 has bottomed out nutrients, which has stopped bacteria from bringing down the NO3?
Water changes are the only certain way of bringing down nitrates, by diluting it

Ive never used the aquaforest stuff so cant really advise. But you do get stuff that targets nitrates specifically..like the orca biocubes. But if i remember you need the titanium ones. They work super well. Doing waterchanges is a waste of time to reduce nitrates.

Thanks, I've read up about it see it comes with a bag.
I don't have a spare reactor, so as long as the bag is placed in strong current it should work as well.

Its been ages since i used it. Not sure if strong flow will work. Dont you need the bag with a airstone? Or is that only with the biocubes?

Thanks so much for the advice. I checked with my LFP, the titanium cubes need a strong through flow only.

It will do both....add to many cubes and it will drop quickly....and it will 0 out if you dont check it. Thats what the titanium cubes do. It only targets nitrates. It doesnt care about phos.

The only other safer option is to add an algae scrubber or refugium with macroalgae
Will lower nitrate and phosphate

Hi, the only nuisance is bubble algae. Blastos and gonioporas are not doing well and I suspect it's because of the high nitrates.
I'm running chaeto in my refugium.

I would say start with youtube - How to Lower Nitrate and Phosphate in a Saltwater Aquarium? | ep.5 BRStv Guide. each tank is different and do not chase numbers your tank will let you know what it like or not. It all depend on your setup and you need to find its sweet-spot stop doing to much.

The key is consistency. Once you find a way to keep nitrates at a consistent level and the corals are happy, try and keep it there.
Nitrates under 30ppm is perfect for LPS and softies. Phosphates at 0.05 max.
My corals are happiest at these levels so this is what I strive for. Nitrates are food and the corals need food. If you're going to have low nitrates, you gotta feed your corals.
Have a read at https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/w...vel-for-nitrate-in-saltwater-aquarium.374587/

Hope this helps as I use to do the same and had issues similar to you in my Boyu TL550 with the RSM250 I take my time and enjoy the hobby and my tank is maturing nicely.

Hi, thanks, will certainly check out that thread.
I don't believe in chasing numbers either, but when I see my blastos and gonioporas going south due to high nitrates, I think action is needed.
By the way, all my other lps and softies are doing well, i.e. hammers, torches, zoas, favia, acans, duncans, gorgonians and pin cushions.

What are you dosing if any? My Blastos are doing well but that is my tank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom