Who builds LED fixtures

Reaction score
As per the title.
I have a 6 bulb ati fixture which I would like to supplement with some LED lights. Is there somebody reputable who I can contact to build a simple LED light bar?
Don't have the time or the inclination to DIY, had one built before and for the life of me I can't remember who did it for me:oops:

Hey @irie ivan! There are ready made bars you can buy now capable of coral growth if you weren't aware. Orphek are one option, and I know there is a guy in JHB somewhere that brings in another decent quality option... Maybe not the most cost effective, but still a fairly reasonable price....

Hey @irie ivan! There are ready made bars you can buy now capable of coral growth if you weren't aware. Orphek are one option, and I know there is a guy in JHB somewhere that brings in another decent quality option... Maybe not the most cost effective, but still a fairly reasonable price....
Thanks Brent.
Yes I am aware of the orphek bars, if they were in budget I would grab them, but as always, I am on a shoestring. Keeping an eye on the for sale forum for a second hand one though.

Thanks Brent.
Yes I am aware of the orphek bars, if they were in budget I would grab them, but as always, I am on a shoestring. Keeping an eye on the for sale forum for a second hand one though.
Understand! Yeah I am fairly budget conscious too! I'm sure you'll be able to build a lekker unit at a great price. Good luck!

What length is the tank and what live stock will you be keeping? Do you want controllable and possibly picture of fixture.

Last edited:
What length is the tank and what live stock will you be keeping? Do you want controllable and possibly picture of fixture.
Thanks for chiming in.

Tank is 1m length. Have a 6 x 24w ATI unit, purely want it for supplemental lighting. Not really a fixture, purely a heatsink, with 12 x 3w led, 6 x blue / violet and 6 x white, each on own channel / dimmable driver. As mentioned, I had a unit made before which worked great.
Have no idea what I want to keep, have been keeping corals for 20 years, it kind of develops as my tanks go along.
Will probably end up being full of sticks... again

Might build something myself, time and know how is in short supply.
At this stage thinking of using 2 "channels" copper tape stuck on heat sink with LEDS soldered on the tape as don't want visible wires. Pop rivet on to ATI fixture and done.
If someone can build that for me, will probably go for that option.

I have sourced all the LED’s, circuit boards and heat sink, solder paste and thermal tape.
Going to run 2 x 500mm pc board strips each with 10 x 3watt LED chips on a 600mm heat sink.
Each strip of 10 x 3w 600mA LED needs to be on its own power supply
I want to be able to dim each channel to get the right colour and intensity.
I am lost between constant current, constant voltage, wattage and amperage..
What drivers do i need and where to get them.
The plethora of technical jargon and numbers is too much for me to get through.
@Royden Church

I have sourced all the LED’s, circuit boards and heat sink, solder paste and thermal tape.
Going to run 2 x 500mm pc board strips each with 10 x 3watt LED chips on a 600mm heat sink.
Each strip of 10 x 3w 600mA LED needs to be on its own power supply
I want to be able to dim each channel to get the right colour and intensity.
I am lost between constant current, constant voltage, wattage and amperage..
What drivers do i need and where to get them.
The plethora of technical jargon and numbers is too much for me to get through.
@Royden Church
PM ,e your number and we can chat over whatsapp.

Regards

Sorry for hijacking this thread...I want to build my own LED units...
Where can I get the LEDs from and everything else to make them work?

Your help will be appreciated...

Back
Top Bottom